Thursday, September 21, 2017

Replacement arbor bolt for Porter Cable 324Mag type 1

My circular saw, a Porter-Cable 324MAG Type 1, has a broken blade bolt.  Porter-Cable designed a tool-less bolt removal system that someone broke when I loaned them my saw.  This is the bolt that fastens the blade to the arbor.  The silver key is supposed to slide to give you a small handle that allows you to unscrew the bolt.  Eventually, someone will break it.





Some Googling suggests that a viable replacement is Porter-Cable blade bolt PN 876053 which sells for $9.99 through Amazon with free shipping or $4.67 through servicenet.portercable.com plus 10.99 shipping.  I think I'll use Amazon.

These parts are related, but now discontinued:

Porter Cable Locking Blade Clamp (Right-​Hand Thread)
Part Number: N37679
Replaces: A02590, A02590SV
Discontinued

6 comments:

  1. Brent. So how did you get the broken Locking Blade Clamp bolt out of the motor spindle so you could replace it with a "normal" bolt? Mine seems frozen it place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same issue and kept using the saw, Then one day I saw the wood I cut was burned badly, the bolt was then loose that I could then untighten.

      Delete
    2. I pried the top with the silver extendable “handle” off with flat blade screw drivers to reveal a planetary gear system that had broken on mine. I was able to unscrew the center bolt and remove all the gears, and even able to reinstall the center bolt using vise-grips until I can get a replacement part.

      Delete
    3. I pried the top with the silver extendable “handle” off with flat blade screw drivers to reveal a planetary gear system that had broken on mine. I was able to unscrew the center bolt and remove all the gears, and even able to reinstall the center bolt using vise-grips until I can get a replacement part.

      Delete
  2. I pried the top off got is unscrewed and went to the hardware store to replace the screw It's metric..and put a hardened washer under it...the part is obsolete so this was my choice

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also managed to break that part, forgetting I have the left-handed 423MAG saw and turned (forced) the lever in the wrong direction until it snapped. It sucks that the replacement Porter Cable part is discontinued everywhere. As is the Amazon part suggested in this post. I’ll keep searching.

    ReplyDelete